Monday, February 9, 2009

School Has Started!

Hello again!

Sorry it has been a while since I last blogged. A lot has happened in the last week or so.

I started classes at UvA on February 2 so I am now into my second week. My first course is called From Film-Directors to Film-Authors. We are studying and discussing what defines a film author and how a film director can become a film author. It is a very interesting class but it is also very difficult. It is 4 hours long on Monday afternoons. Each week we have to write a paper either on the history and theory of a that weeks time period or on a film director/author of the time period. It only lasts until March 16 so I won't get too burned out.

My other class that I have now is called Narratives in Literature and Film. It is kind of a cross between a film class and an literature class as the name says. We will read 3 books/short stories. One by Hemingway, one by Henry James, and the last is the graphic novel Watchmen (the movie is coming out soon.) This class lasts the entire semester.

I have one more class but it doesn't start until March.

I came down with a cold last Friday and despite this I traveled to Maastricht to visit Lieselot and to see her new apartment in the city. Her room is very nice and is in a relatively quiet part of town.

Anyways, this week I will take my camera through Amsterdam and take some pictures to show you the town I'm living in. (I had forgotten my camera in Nijmegen last week after Lieselot's Grandfathers birthday party.)

Here are a few pictures that I took before the birthday party.

The Bar Cat at a cafe down the street from where I have classes. He's there to keep the rodent population down.


Just another Amsterdam Canal


The Begijnhof - A place for retired spiritual people to live. It is a beautiful and very quiet place in the heart of Amsterdam.


The Queen's Palace (She doesn't actually live there) on Dam Square.

No comments: